What does it mean to be baptized in the Holy Spirit?
- It is not water baptism, though water baptism is important, too.
- Instead of the preacher baptizing a person into water, Jesus will baptize a person into the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit comes INTO a person upon salvation, but the Holy Spirit comes UPON a person with this subsequent baptism.
- To 'baptize' means to immerse or dunk or submerge, so the Spirit has come within you to abide, but He needs to come upon you for service.
- When the Spirit comes upon a person, He brings power.
- The Christian needs Holy Spirit power to live and also to preach and minister to others.
- This power includes speaking in tongues, and the other gifts of the Spirit (1 Cor 12).